Pskov. Trinity Cathedral in Kremlin.
Masters town opening. Jubilee of city. 1100 anniversary.
Picture was taken by Natalie, July 20, 2003, by day:
In the XIV century all the lands adjoining the Detinets (or Krom)
from the south were walled first with wood and later with stones. It was known as "persi". At that time extensive construction of stone churches started. In the second half of the XIV century the first original architecture school was formed. In the XV-XVI centuries the stone masters from Pskov were often asked to work in Moscow and other cities.
The stone walls and the towers of Krom, which one can admire today, were rebuilt in the XIX century. By this time only the fundaments of the ancient towers were preserved. A part of the ancient town adjoining Krom from this side is called Dovmontov town. On its territory preserved a great number of churches' fundaments clustering to each other. During the excavations there was found a well preserved fresco painting dating back to the end of the XIV beginning of the XVI centuries.
In the XVI century Pskov turned into a powerful defense town. Pskov fortress had about 40 towers and the length of its walls was 9,5 kilometres. Only a tiny part of the ancient fortress survived till our days. On the territory of the old fortress there were located Krom, Dovmontov town, Sredny town, Okolny town, Zapskovye. During the Northern War many towers and some of the churches were covered up with the earth and turned into the bastions. The most ancient out of preserved stone buildings are the Spaso- Preobrazhensky Cathedral and Cathedral of the Spaso-Mirozhsky monastery (1156). Some of the architectural monuments of the XV-XVII centuries survived till our days. Among those are the churches of Vassiliy on the hill (1413), Nikola from Usokha (1536), Ioakim and Anna (XVI century).