Ice cream with golden syrup.
100 g (4 oz) sugar
50 g (2 oz) golden syrup
50 g (2 oz) butter
300 ml (1/2 pt) double cream
jam or honey.
1. Make sauce: heat the sugar, syrup and butter in a small heavy-based saucepan until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved.
2. Raise the heat, bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) hot water (take care, the mixture may splutter). Leave for about an hour to cool.
4. Pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until it stands in soft peaks. Stir in the sauce.
5. Pour the mixture into a container. Cover and freeze until firm. Serve straight from the freezer decorated with jam or honey.