Beetroot hot soup with ham - Borscht.
200 g (7 oz) beef.
150 g (5,3 oz) ham.
100 g (3,5 oz) sausage, chopped.
2 beets, washed, peeled, grated, simmered.
300 g (10,6 oz) fresh cabbage, shredded.
1 carrot, grated.
3 onion, chopped.
4 tbsp tomato paste.
3 - 4 garlic cloves, crushed.
50 g (1,8 oz) sunflower oil, (or Soya oil, or olive oil)
1 tbsp sugar.
20 g, 6% ( 1oz) vinegar.
1,5 litres / 3 pint water
Chopped green Celery, dill, parsley, coriander, green onions, bay leaf, pepper, to taste.
1. Cook beef and ham in the water until done, add cabbage and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Blanch onion in oil until golden, add carrot and tomato paste. Stew for 7 - 10 minutes, (use a frying pan). Peeled and grated beet simmer in oil. Add vinegar.
3. Flavour the broth with sugar and salt to taste.
4. Add to broth all fried vegetables: onion, carrot, beet. Cook for 15 minutes.
5. Five to ten minutes before the Borscht is cooked, add:
sausage, chopped green Celery, dill, parsley, coriander, green
onions, bay leaf, pepper, garlic cloves to taste.
Serve with sour cream.
Soup will be beautiful and very tasty: red with a lot greenery.