Pskov city. Kremlin with Walls and Towers on photos.
Pskov is 1100 year old. All photos was taken by Natalie, on July 2003 year.
Pskov was also the strongest fortress on the western border of Russia. The oldest part of the town stands where the rivers Pskova and Velikaya join.
In the 8th centuries Pskov had grown into a rather big settlement with developed handicraft activity. But the development of a tribe settlement into a town happened later. From the 11th to 13th centuries Pskov became the second important town in Novgorod Land. At the beginning of the 14 century Pskov won independence from Novgorod. From the 14 th to the beginning of the 16 th century, Pskov was a city state. It was the capital of the independent land. Pskov Veche became an administrative organ. It adopted Pskovian Code Legislation, other laws, and amendments to the laws. It held disputes on all vital problems of life and policy.
In the middle of the Pershi wall there was a belfry in the shape of a small, tent - roofed tower where the bells of Trinity Cathedral hung. Two of these bells were especially important: one summoned the people to the veche, attended by all the people, and the other, to the state council. Pskov stood guard on the Russian land borders. The constant struggle of Pskov against foreign invaders led to the unification of Pskov with Moscow. The last Pskov Veche was session in 1510 when Grand Prince of Moscow Vasily III arrived in Pskov. In January 1510 Pskov lost the last vestige of republican rule, the Veche bell was removed and executed.