The ancient Saviour Mirozhsky Monastery.
The old Saviour Mirozhsky Monastery is situated at the confluence of the rivers Velikaya and Mirozha in the old Russian town of Pskov.
The chronicle informs us that the main cathedral the Transfiguration of the Lord, built before 1156, was the first stone - made church in Pskov to be decorated with wall paintings. This church was built at the initiation of bishop Nifont of Novgorod. The cathedral the Transfiguration was painted immediately after its construction by Greek painters and their Russian pupils. In the 18 th century the murals were whitewashed over and forgotten. During repairs to the church in 1858, the ancient paintings were accidentally discovered beneath the whitewash. New restoration work was begun in 1969. This last restoration project is now nearing completion.
Both from the inside and the outside cathedral was seen as a stone - made cross.
The world famous frescoes of its Cathedral of the Transfiguration occupy an important place in the history of Russian and world culture. By a UNESCO decision the Mirozha cathedral has been included in the list of the finest monuments of world art.
The Savior monastery on the Mirozha was the fist center of chronicle - writing in Pskov, possessing a rich library. Well-known epics were written, copied and distributed in the monastery for many centuries.
The Mirozha monastery was the center of Pskov's spiritual and artistic life. On the grounds of the monastery, surrounded by the stone wall erected in the 19th century to replace the wooden one there is a conglomeration of buildings belonging to different periods.
St. Stephan Church with the Holy Doors.
The north part of the monastery includes St. Stephan Church with the Holy Doors, an architectural monument of the 16th -17th. In 18th a new stone building of the Monks' Cells was erected next to St. Stephan Church. To the west of the Transfiguration Cathedral are the Father Superior's Chambers (19th century) resting on a high foundation with the 17th - century basements?