Old Izborsk, fortress of the 14 century.
Izborsk is one of the oldest towns in Russia, began from a small settlement of the Slavic Krivich tribe. A wooden fortress was built in the settlement in the mid 10th century. A stone fortress occupying the hill's entire summit was built at the end of the 11th century. In 1303, the town's site was moved to the Zheravya hill, some 700 meters from the old site.
That fortress stands on a natural rock base, like it grows directly out of the hill. Sometimes it is difficult to see where the hill ends and where the wall begins. The total length of the walls is 625 meters.
You can to see this Fortress was built of stone and was vigorous and inaccessible stronghold, capable to bear the attack of any enemy.
The stone St. Nicholas Cathedral equal in age to the fortress - stands by the main gates. It is near the wall and could, in case of attack, have been used as an additional fortification to conceal the city's defenders.
The church of St. Sergius is situated near by entrance to the fortress and was built in the 17th century. Its belfry above the doorway faces the main gates. In the St. Sergius Church has been opened a branch of the Pskov Museum on the basis of archeological discoveries made in Izborsk.
Home Pskov En ||
Home Pskov Ru ||
Recipes Russian cooking ||
Discount Hotel reservations ||
Cooking with photos ||
Maine coons cattery|